How Tooth Extraction Can Help Prevent Further Dental Issues
While you can trust that our team will always do whatever we can to help you avoid tooth extraction, sometimes removing a tooth is the best way to prioritize your oral health. At West Delray Smiles in Delray Beach, should you need to have one or more teeth extracted, you rest assured that our team of caring and compassionate dental professionals will do everything we can to help ensure that the process is as smooth and expedient as possible!
In What Situations Might Tooth Extraction Be Necessary?
In many cases, tooth extraction can be avoided with proper oral care and timely treatment of dental problems. However, there are some instances where extraction is the best course of action. These include:
- When a tooth is severely decayed
- Crowding (when there’s not enough room in the mouth for all of the teeth)
- A crack or a fracture in a tooth that can’t be repaired.
Why Is Tooth Extraction Sometimes Necessary To Preserve Oral Health?
Depending on your unique needs and oral health situation, removing a diseased or unnecessary tooth can:
- Reduce harmful bacteria growth, preventing tooth decay from spreading to other teeth.
- Keep your gums healthy by preventing them from becoming damaged due to overcrowding or infection.
- Ease dental pain caused by severely decayed or infected teeth.
- Maintain a healthy smile! By removing problem teeth, you can help preserve the integrity of your dental health.
If I Have A Tooth Extracted, How Should I Care For My Mouth After It’s Been Removed?
Once a tooth has been extracted, it’s important to take care of the area to promote healing. You’ll need to avoid drinking through a straw, as this can cause dry socket (a condition where the blood clot that forms in the extraction site is dislodged). You should also avoid smoking and spitting for at least 24 hours after the procedure, and it’s likely that you’ll need to take pain medication to calm or control any discomfort caused by the procedure.
If you think you may need a tooth extracted, contact our office today. We’ll be happy to schedule a consultation right away!
Contact West Delray Smiles About Tooth Extraction Today
- Remove a tooth that’s not able to be treated or saved
- Ease dental pain
- Prevent infection from spreading to healthy teeth
- Prevent damage to your jawbone
- Prioritize your oral and overall health!